Physical medicine and rehabilitation is also referred to as physiatry. Doctors with this medical specialty (physiatrists) are experts at diagnosing and treating injury, pain, physical disability, and behavioral and thinking problems in people of all ages.
How a physiatrist can help
Physical medicine offers an aggressive, nonsurgical approach to treating pain and injury. Your physiatrist will perform a comprehensive physical exam to find the cause of your symptoms. These exams can often help even when standard tests reveal no specific problem.
Once the problem has been diagnosed, your physiatrist will create a personalized treatment plan to address it and to help prevent a recurrence.
Most importantly, your physiatrist will treat you as a whole person, instead of just focusing on your symptoms. This whole-person approach to treatment helps you regain lost function and improve your overall quality of life.
Services a physiatrist can provide
The following are just a few of the services and specialties provided by the physiatrists at CarolinaEast:
- Amputation care, support and education.
- Arthritis treatment.
- Cancer rehabilitation.
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation.
- Cerebral palsy treatment.
- Dementia and Alzheimer's disease treatment.
- Disability evaluation.
- Electro-diagnostic testing/EMGs.
- Independent medical exams.
- Interventional pain injections.
- Multiple sclerosis treatment.
- Parkinson's disease treatment.
- Pediatric rehabilitation.
- Spinal cord and brain injury treatment.
- Wheelchair education.
- Workers' compensation evaluation.
- Wound care.
CarolinaEast's physiatrists work in our rehabilitation hospital. If you're interested in seeing one of our physiatrists, ask your primary care physician about a referral.
CarolinaEast Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
2000 Neuse Blvd. (inside CarolinaEast Rehabilitation Hospital)
New Bern, NC 28560