Contact: Brandy Popp
(New Bern, NC) – Effective Monday, July 6, CarolinaEast Health System is expanding limited visitation at CarolinaEast Medical Center and the Outpatient Surgery Center. CarolinaEast leadership has developed a plan to incrementally increase visitation with patient, visitor and staff safety remaining the highest priority.
In late March, CarolinaEast postponed elective surgeries and restricted all visitation upon the recommendations of state and federal officials to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and allow for unknowns related to the novel illness. As the situation has evolved, it has been determined that easing visitor restrictions is appropriate at this time. With some exceptions, patients will be allowed one designated visitor during limited visiting hours.
Limited visitation details implemented today, Monday, July 6, 2020:
- Visiting hours for inpatient units are 10:00am until 6:30pm for all units except Intensive Care Unit (ICU), which is 2:00pm until 6:00pm.
- Emergency Department patients will be allowed one companion.
- No visitation is allowed for patients on isolation protocol of any kind.
- All visitors must be at least 18 years old.
- All visitors must pass wellness screening upon entry into a CarolinaEast facility.
- All visitors will be required to obtain a visitor pass upon check-in, and check out after visiting.
- All visitors must remain in the patient’s room and wear a mask at all times.
- Due to social distancing guidelines, hospital waiting areas will not be open and visitors will be required to wait outside the facility during surgical procedures.
CarolinaEast appreciates everyone’s cooperation, patience and understanding during these extraordinary times. “We have been anxious to increase visitation for some time, and although necessary, we know how difficult this limitation has been for our patients and their loved ones,” says Jim Davis, Chief Nursing Officer at CarolinaEast. “We also know that family support is an important piece of healing and we are so glad to finally be able to give that back to our patients.”
As the situation continues to evolve, CarolinaEast will advise of additional changes to the visitation policy. Visit www.carolinaeasthealth.com to learn more about CarolinaEast’s efforts to protect its patients, visitors and staff from COVID-19.